Google
 

Monday

Top Gun



My Favorite film of the 1980s. By a long way. I have watched it hundreds of times, and I could go on and on and on and on about it here for years. My friend and I find that we can communicate through Top Gun Quotes alone, so I thought rather than go on about the film I would just give you some quotes:

  • Iceman: You two really are cowboys.
  • Maverick: What's your problem, Kazanski?
  • Iceman: You're everyone's problem. That's because everytime you go up in the air, you're unsafe. I don't like you because you're dangerous.
  • Maverick: That's right! Ice... man. I am dangerous.
  • Charlie: Excuse me, Lieutenant. Is there something wrong?
  • Maverick: Yes ma'am, the data on the MiG is inaccurate.
  • Charlie: How's that, Lieutenant?
  • Maverick: Well, I just happened to see a MiG 28 do a...Goose: We!
  • Maverick: Uh, sorry Goose. WE happened to see a MiG 28 do a 4g negative dive.
  • Charlie: Where did you see this?
  • Maverick: Uh, that's classified.
  • Charlie: It's what?
  • Maverick: It's classified. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
  • Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
  • Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
  • Viper: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees.
  • Wolfman: Holy shit, it's Viper!
  • Goose: Viper's up here, great... oh shit...
  • Maverick: Great, he's probably saying, "Holy shit, it's Maverick and Goose."
  • Goose: Yeah, I'm sure he's saying that.
  • Viper: That's pretty arrogant considering the company here, don't you think?
  • Maverick: Yes sir.
  • Viper: I like that in a pilot.
  • Viper: Let me ask you something, if you had to go into battle, would you want him on your side?Jester: I don't know, I just don't know
  • Goose's wife: Hey Goose you big stud!
  • Goose: That's me, honey.
  • Goose's wife: Take me to bed or lose me forever.
  • Goose: Show me the way home, honey.
  • Slider: Goose who's butt did you kiss to get in here anyway?
  • Goose: The list is long, but distinguished.
  • Slider: Yeah, well so is my Johnson.
  • Goose: The defense department regrets to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid.
  • Ice Man: The plaque for the alternates is down in the ladies room.
  • Maverick: I think I'll go make a fool of myself with Goose.
  • Hondo: Your ego is writing checks your body can't cash.
  • Maverick: This is what I call a target rich environment.
  • Goose: You live your life between your legs Mav.
  • Maverick: Goose, even you could get laid in a place like this.
  • Goose: Hell, I'd be happy to just find a girl that would talk dirty to me.
  • Maverick: She's lost that loving feeling.
  • Goose: No, no she hasn't.
  • Maverick: Oh, yes she has.
  • Goose: I hate it when she does that.
  • Maverick: I feel the need...
  • Goose: ...the need for speed!
  • Maverick: You don't have time to think up there. If you think, you're dead.
  • Hondo: And if you screw up just this much, you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!
  • Maverick: Yes sir!
  • Iceman: You can be my wingman any time.
  • Maverick: Bullshit! You can be mine.
  • Hondo: They gave you your choice of duty son, anything, anywhere. Do you believe that shit? Where do you think you wanna go?
  • Maverick: I thought of being an instructor, sir.
  • Hondo: Top Gun?
  • Maverick: Yes, sir.
  • Hondo: God help us.
  • Viper: Now I'm not gonna sit here and blow sunshine up your ass, Lieutenant.
  • Goose: We regret to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid.
  • Charlie: What do you wanna do? Just drop down on the tile and go for it?
  • Maverick: No, actually I had this counter in mind.
  • Charlie: Great, that would be very, very comfortable, yeah.
  • Maverick: It could be.
  • Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
  • Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a tower.
  • Viper: Top Gun rules of engagement are written for your safety and for that of your team. They are not flexible, nor am I. Is that clear?
  • Goose: Come on, Mav, do some of that pilot shit!
  • Maverick: Too close for missles, I'm switching to guns.

Yeeeaaahhhh!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

you do realise that top gun is thought to be one of the most homo-erotic movies of the last 20 years. just thought you'd like to know!

Life in the 80's said...

hahaha. true enough, when I watch it now i do raise an eybrow when they are "playin' with the boys"

Life in the 80's said...

ps. Thanks Jim!

Clay said...

I liked Top Gun and thought it was a decent film back in the day......despite the Cruise factor.

Life in the 80's said...

I know... but i dont know if it would work without cruise. They actually replayed it at my local cinema recently. It was brilliant!

Anonymous said...

I admit that everytime this flick is on I am sucked in to watch it. Not for Cruise though...I actually thought Val Kilmer was the hotter one in the movie. There was something about that blonde spiky hair....
My favorite parts in the movie was The last MiG fight of the movie and each time he did a fly by. I also enjoyed the heavy sarcasm thoughout the movie.

Life in the 80's said...

yeah that last Mig fight was awesome!!! Even though they used the same footage about 5 times in that scene. It was so cool.

Anonymous said...

I can' believe you missed...

"He's going vertical. So am I."

"We're going ballistic man go get him!"

Foreign Currency Direct said...

hi - Life in the 80's here. I cant believe I missed it either! Well spotted. I do know however, that going ballistic was not a term ever used in real life. Since the film however, it is used to describe going vertical - purley due to the film.
I need to get out more.

Rafael Osorio Simpe said...

I like too much the quote "Yes Sir!" when Maverick reply to the question in the living room, and again the officer asks and Maverick: "Uhmm...Yes Sir" and the officer (I can't remember his name)says "I like it!"


Best wishes from Peru!

Anonymous said...

Hi Energetic - yes that is a good quote. You think you're names going to be on that board? Yes sir. Pretty arrogant considering the company you keep? Yes sir. I like that in a pilot!

haha. Life in the 80's

Anonymous said...

I'm a chick......and I FUCKING adore Top Gun! I have as well, watched it hundreds of times and could as well communicate with a dear friend of mine in pure quotes.

As a child though, I never did understand any of the sexual and homo humor/comments....it wasn't until about a year ago as an adult at 29 years old did i rediscover the film and "get it".

I work from home, and the movie is on my computer. Very frequently I am compelled to put it on as I work on sew. I have even watched/listened to it several times in one day as I work. My work area is set up with the computer and sewing machines and such are all in the same area.

aahhhh....Top Gun. I think I even have 7 year old hooked....though sometimes I am quite at a loss of how to explain some of the lines in the movie ...eek!

blogger templates 3 columns | Webtalks