Google
 

Wednesday

Spectrum or BBC Micro?



Rubber keys to protect from splashing, or the more superior Acorn Machine. So which were you? Personally, I never owned a Spectrum - I always thought they were a bit gippo - I was a huge advocate of the BBC Micro. The model I has was a BBC Micro B+ with REM chip and external disk drive and tape deck.

Just the thought of the sounds when you loaded up your game by tape, waiting anxiously for the game to load, only to be thoroughly dissapointed when you eventually got to play! ahhhh those were the days. Computers then I feel were so much more fun, rather than the headache modern games give you. Is it just me or are todays games so damn hard? Give me Repton anyday.

So, what were your favorite games of the day? PacMan perhaps? Donkey Kong? Paperboy? My personal favorite Repton? aaaaahhhh I can almost smell the 80's just thinking about it. Even if you did get bored of the games, it was fairly easy to write that well known programme that everybody knew:

10 Clear Screen
20 Print "hello"
30 goto 20


Anyway, I went back to my parents house the other day to fish the BBC Micro out of the loft - I figured it must be worth something after all this time. (ok, ok I was going to hook it up and play) To my horror, they had actually sold it at a car boot sale for.... wait for it...... £1.50 ?!? Now I dont know what it should have been worth, but alot more than that I am sure. I havn't been the same since.

Enough! All this reminiscing is making me quite over excited. ooooh. too late. If I had a rubber keyed speccy now everything would be ok but i think i have damaged the keyboard and my pc is about to cra......... ~@?@!(*&$^!"*&$£!!"~@?........

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a zx spectrum 48K - and I thought it was good - I only had one game though, that was on a tape cassette thing and yes it took ages to load up. It was called haunted Hedges and you had to guide the little ghost round the hedge maz and eat as many gold coins as possible without getting caught by a bad ghost! was I the only person in the world that had that game????

Anonymous said...

sounds like you were playing a pacman type game! i had asteroids. that was the best.

Anonymous said...

Ah the Speccy 48K. Dear old Uncle Clive's masterpiece. I spent many happy hours-waiting for the tape to load up and wondering if there were subliminal messages hidden in that infernal noise. What was the deal with that printer with thermal paper you could buy for it. Was there any practical use for it? Remember the "Your Sinclair" magazine?

Anonymous said...

ahhh the old thermal paper. I remember. Useful for approximatley 18 seconds until you walked past a radiator and it all went black. hahahah.

Anonymous said...

"Computer games don't affect kids. If they did we'd all be running around darkened rooms munching on pills and listening to repetitive music!!!!!"

Anonymous said...

Im only actualy 14 and i came on here to do my homework. But forget xboxs and playstations I want a zx spectrum now!

Anonymous said...

"10 Clear Screen"? Come on! Everyone knows the command is "CLS" not "Clear Screen"

Logan said...

I've still got a BBC B+ (and love it) but have never heard of a REM chip. What does it do? (Or is it a typo for RAM...?)

Unknown said...

Spectrum 48k with Trashman filled all of my rainy days!

blogger templates 3 columns | Webtalks